Sunday, August 21, 2016

It’s like walking a tight rope! Such a thin line!

I am in the process of job hunting.  As a huge favor, someone I work with sat down with me to go over my LinkedIN account, my resume, discuss networking strategies, and to help me prepare for interviewing.  It’s not as if I haven’t done the whole job search thing in the past, but it’s been a few years, and refreshers are always helpful. 

He gave me a number of great suggestions!  One of which was to have 2 “elevator pitches” of varied lengths ready.  For those who don’t know this term, it means that if you had to “sell yourself” in the time it takes to ride up in an elevator with someone, what would you say?  He suggested in addition to the traditional quick two minute version, to also have one that is a tiny bit longer.  The five minute pitch.

I actually had a former employer look at his watch at the start of the interview and say to me “Ok, I’ve got 5 minutes.  Why should I hire you?”  I had a great response, even though I hadn’t been prepared for this interview technique.  At least I think my response was great, because I got the job.  Of course, after my quick elevator pitch, he went on to interview me for another 20 minutes, and then I had to come back for 4 more interviews with other people at the company.  But eventually, I did get the job.

Thinking about this “elevator pitch” made me think about how to do this and sound confident, but yet, not cocky!  It’s a really thin line between these two.  While you may think you’re coming across as confident, you could accidentally end up appearing cocky.  I honestly don’t think that people actually TRY to come across as cocky.  Although there may be some who do.

Then, of course, because my mind sometimes has a very strong stream-of-consciousness going on, I started thinking about the online dating profiles that I am having OH SO MUCH FUN reading!  There was one that was sooooo cocky that the guy even admitted in his profile that he is cocky.  He said he may “appear arrogant and unattainable”, but that’s because he is.  I actually laughed out loud when I read this!  And not in a good way.  This guy had been the one to contact me, trying to establish some kind of connection.  So, I have to admit, it was a bit of an ego boost that I ranked high enough to be considered worthy of his attention.  (can you hear my eyes roll from there?)  But when I read that, I immediately was turned off!  BIG TIME!! 

Because I was thinking about how to appear confident and not cocky in an interview, I started to look through more dating profiles to see how someone can tread that thin line, and not cross over to the cocky side.  And I’m telling you, it’s not an easy line to traverse!  Not only does it depend on what YOU say, but also how you say it, and on the mood and general attitude of the recipient.  Are they in a good mood?  Do they have a sense of humor?  Or are they a very straight-laced kind of person?  Did they possibly have a rough day?  Have they dealt with self-absorbed jerks in the past and just have no time to put up with that kind of crap?

It made me wonder how my elevator pitch that I gave at that one interview actually worked.  Now that I think back on it, it could have totally backfired.  I did come across a bit cocky.  Thankfully, my boss (future boss at the time) was a bit cocky himself and he appreciated that approach.


All this thinking I’m doing on this subject tells me is that I need to do a lot of drafting and practicing before I head into the interview scene.  I will probably videotape myself doing my elevator pitches, to try also read the facial expressions I use and my body language.  That also plays a huge part.  Something said with a little bit of a smile comes across a lot different than if it’s said completely straight faced!  Or with a smirky kind of smile.  That can make what you say come across more on the cocky side.  

Ugh!  So much to think about!!  But I’m CONFIDENT that I can do this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment