Sunday, January 1, 2017

OMG! The Pressure!!!

It’s a New Year!  And that means people all over the world are going to make resolutions.  Promises to do things, or to stop doing things, or to accomplish things, or to add positives and/or to remove negatives from their lives.  All of these promises, all of these resolutions, are made on one particular day solely because we are starting a new year, and well … why not start NEW in the new year, right?! 

It also seems to be a day that people “declare”, rather than resolve.  They declare their love by maybe getting married or engaged, or maybe they just “DTR”.  No offense to anyone who has done this or plans to do this in the future, but … seriously?  I mean, what if things don’t work out? Then for the rest of your life New Year’s Eve will be a reminder of a doomed relationship!  I mean, why go there?  The whole world will be celebrating with champagne and noisemakers and you’ll be drowning your sorrows, depressed that things didn’t work out.  And I know I may offend some people, but this just comes across as, well, kinda desperate and if I'm being honest here, kinda hokey!

Anyway, over the years I have vacillated between making resolutions and absolutely refusing to make resolutions.  I don’t need that kind of pressure!  Plus, I really feel that there’s no need to wait for this one particular day to make positive changes in my life.  I mean, what’s wrong with making a resolution on, let’s say, April 23rd.  Or how’s about July 9th?   September 18th seems like a good day to make changes!  What’s so special about January 1st?  Isn’t every day the first day of the rest of your life? (yeah, I know, that was definitely hokey!)

Plus, when I think of the things that people usually have on their resolution list, well … I’ve already gotten the new job (Woot woot!!)  I already go to the gym.  Two gyms, in fact!  I don’t smoke, so no need to quit.  I don’t drink excessively, and I’m not quitting that completely.  I’m not in debt, so no need to pay off credit cards. I guess I could eat more healthy foods.  But where’s the fun in that?  There’s not much that is traditionally on a resolution list that I would need to resolve to accomplish.

But this year I am going to … well, not necessarily make resolutions, but I’m going to commit to try to accomplish several things that I’ve had in the back of my mind to do for some time now!

First, I have had an idea for a novel for many years now.  I even tried a number of years ago to write it.  But it never got completed (or really started).  I think that back then I just didn’t have the commitment to do it, nor did I have the writing skills.  Do I have those skills now?  Not sure.  But I definitely feel that I can give it another try.  Not sure this “commitment” will be completed in one year, but at least starting it is … a start!

I also have an idea for what I think would make a really cute, fun, animated movie!  So, I am going to write up the storyline, develop a screenplay for it and then try to hook up with some animators to see about putting it together!  If you happen to know of or be an animator, please contact me!!  (email address is in my main profile on here)

And last year when I started this blog, one of my closest friends suggested that I start a vlog.  She thought I’d be really good at that.  To be honest, it was something that actually scared me to even think about.  And I’m not so sure it’s something I’d be good at or that anyone would want to even watch.  But I do think it’s something to consider.  I still am not sure if this one will come to fruition, but I commit to at least consider it!  I’d still have to think through all the logistics of this one.  Is it going to be just videos of the things that I now currently write about?  Or will it be separate from the blog?  Do I keep to a schedule, like I do with this blog, with a new one coming out every Sunday?  Or just as the whim hits me and once I’ve had the time to edit things?  It’s got to be more involved than editing my written blog! Plus I’ll first have to learn about how to edit the videos!  Choppy videos probably won’t make great vlogs, huh?

So, anyway, I guess my New Year’s Resolutions are to be more creative this year!

I really welcome all suggestions, comments, and even trolling!  I mean, if I’m going to start my own YouTube channel, I’m going to have to get used to ignoring the trolls, right?  So, if you have anything to say, any suggestions or comments … if you have any gems of experience, any words of encouragement, or disparaging comments meant to thicken my skin, please either comment here or send me an email to the address in my main profile.  I don’t promise responses (especially if you’re a troll, since I’m supposed to learn to ignore you, right?) But I promise that I will read everything!  

Shoot!  I just made another New Year’s promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment