Sunday, October 30, 2016

Winter is coming, and not just to Westeros

I love the fact that living in New York I get to experience the changes of the seasons.  I don’t know how I’d feel if I lived in a place like Florida, where the weather changes mainly have to do with how wet it gets, and not the temperature or what the surroundings look like from season to season.

My favorite time of year is spring, when everything is new and coming to life.  The days start to get longer.  Instead of waking up when it’s pitch black out, and heading home from work when it has already gotten dark, you get to see more sunlight.  I always look for the new buds coming out on the trees. I know that once I see that, the warmer weather won’t be far behind.  I get the biggest thrill when I spot the first crocus petals poking through the dirt!  It is a time of a fresh start for the earth.  And I feel that it is like that for people as well.

My second favorite season is fall.  The changing of the leaves, with all the variety of color is breathtaking.  The air becomes more crisp, and the humidity abates.  The brutal hot temperatures ease up, and you can actually keep the windows open and enjoy the fresh air, rather than living in a constant state of air conditioning.

I also like the clothing for the fall.  The layers and the earth tone colors.  I can start to wear my boots again, without feeling like my feet are on fire and I’m going to melt.

Today I spent the day out hiking the trails in a park near my house with a new friend.  We started out early, and it was still a little brisk.  So I had my warmer jacket and scarf to be fashionable and functional.  Even the dog had on her sweater at first.  But as we walked, the sun came out and it became a beautiful day!  We took lots of photos, having a photo shoot of sorts with my dog posing among the fallen leaves and dappled sunshine.  She’s so well behaved and really gave my friend a great subject matter for his photography.  It was a perfect fall day.  I guess if every day were like today, I may not mind not having a change of seasons.

I’m ok with the summertime too.  Yes, it can get too hot, and too humid.  But I don’t really mind it that much.  Except when I have to be on a subway platform.  I have no clue why, but for some reason it is always so much hotter and more humid down there.  You’d think that being underground, out of the beating sun that it would be cooler.  But, alas, it’s not.  But even with this, I still enjoy summer. 

Perhaps that’s because summer is still reminiscent of childhood memories of no school, playing in the backyard pool, and barbeques.  I also love that the daylight lasts so much longer.  I need sunshine to be happy (even though I will avoid standing directly in it).

The one season I really am not a fan of is the winter! I do like when it first snows. Especially if it snows at night.  Everything seems quieter. And it’s so pretty to see the pristine snow on the streets, the trees, the grass, and even on the cars. But in New York City that pristine snow doesn’t last very long. We end up left with an ugly, grey, icy or slushy mess for months and months!

I also can’t seem to get fully warmed up the entire winter.  I am not exaggerating when I say that I take a hot bath practically every day in the winter.  It’s the only way to get the cold out of my bones!  It doesn’t matter how layered I dress, the cold just seeps in.

And having to get bundled up in so many layers that you feel like the Michelin man is anything but fun. It’s exhausting having to put on a ton of layers, then to have to undo/unbutton/unzip/untie everything once you’re on the subway.  Then redo/rebutton/rezip/retie everything to head out from the subway, only to have to take everything off again when you reach your destination.  I’m exhausted just typing about it.

And for some reason, of which I also have no clue, spring, summer and fall all seem to fly by, where as winter seems to drag on for an eternity!

Anyway, winter is coming, like it or not. Nothing that can be done about it.  Except to enjoy perfect fall days like today until winter arrives!  Then, start counting the days until those crocus reappear!

No comments:

Post a Comment