Sunday, July 10, 2016

“On the road again” or “There's no place like home”

I'm writing this entry from Florence, Italy, even though it will be posted once I'm back home. I love to travel, to see other places, learn the history and culture. I also am a big fan of the resort type travel as well (scuba vacations are always fun!) But traveling definitely has its ups and downs.

The positives, in addition to other cultures and places is the new experiences, tasting new foods (or at least more authentic than you can get back home), meeting new people. And of course, not having to be at work! Unless you happen to write a travel blog or something similar. Traveling for work is definitely not the same!

But, there are definitely the downsides to travel, even if it is for enjoyment.

Not speaking the language can be daunting, frustrating, and can even be scary at times. This trip hasn’t been too bad. Most people speak at least a tiny bit of English.  There was only one time where one of my travel companions was “chased” by some angry lady at an open market stall for not stopping to look at her stuff.  When I said “No Italian”, she gave me a gesture that could only mean that she wasn’t too pleased, rattled off some more Italian, and finally went back to her stall. I don’t think anyone ever taught this woman that being nasty isn’t going to earn you a sale.

Sleeping in a bed that isn't your bed can also be hard to get used to. While the bed on this trip is comfortable enough, it isn’t as good as mine at home, and their pillows SUCK!! I mean, REALLY SUCK!!!  I love my bed at home!  It is super firm, and my pillows are the perfect thickness and weight! I could spend all day cuddled up in my bed! I don’t (unless I’m sick), but I could and it would be so comfy!

And there are the new noises to get used to. On this trip it’s been the 5 a.m. wake up from the garbage being collected (also known as the TONS of wine bottles the restaurant downstairs had served the day before being tossed noisily into a metal truck) and the shops opening their metal pulldown gates to get ready for their new work day. And did you know that Italy has SOOOOO many churches!  The church bells can be heard for quite a distance!! 

Plus, Italy is HOT during the summer.  I mean REALLY HOT.  And humid!  And, Italians don’t seem to be big fans of air conditioning!  Put the two together, and well, yeah, not pleasant! I know, the environment, greenhouse gasses and all that. But when you are literally melting away (yes, literally, as the sweat drips off me!) you really aren’t as concerned about that.

But, the hardest part of traveling can be the having to be 24/7 with your travel companions!  I do love the people I am traveled with, so don’t get me wrong. But in the normal course of my days back home, we’re not together ALL THE TIME!! Not everyone wants to do the same thing as others. Nobody is going to be in a great mood all the time. And everyone needs a little time alone now and then.  But I think we’re doing pretty good, considering the amount of time together!

This trip is definitely a LOT better than a trip I took with a friend a few years ago!  By the end of the trip, we weren’t talking, and weren’t friends anymore!  But from the way she was on the trip, I think the friendship would have been doomed eventually anyway.  Because you can’t hide that level of crazy for too long!!

I’m happy that I am experiencing Italy, and all the things I’ve seen, done, tasted, heard! We are fitting a ton of things into the little time I have here.  But I am also looking forward to heading home!  To see my fur babies! To sleep in my own bed!  To have air conditioning!!


Just not looking forward to having to go back to work!  Hmmm, travel blogs?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment