Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Golden Rule

I have never been a religious person.  Yes, I do identify with a religion, but it’s more of a cultural thing than a religious thing for me.  I have mixed feelings when it comes to religion in general, and these mixed feelings apply to all religions. Part of me feels that religions help to guide people to be better versions of themselves.  But another part of me feels that religions serve to separate, alienate and exclude those who don’t belong to the same religion and to even exclude those from the same religion who don’t believe the exact same things from that same religion.  On the positive side again, one thing religions are supposed to do is to provide a moral compass, a guidance of how to be a good person. 

The thing is … why should we NEED this guidance?  Shouldn’t it come naturally?  Shouldn’t we all have the basic desire to treat others with kindness, respect and dignity, as we would want to be treated ourselves?  We are human, afterall.  We should be HUMANE!

Luke 6:31 states “Do to others as you would have them do to you.”  Not from my religion, not from any scripture that I grew up reading or being taught.  But it’s something that I’ve always tried to live by.  Something that is a basic tenant of all religions. (well, maybe not Satanic Worship)  But it is something that’s also always frustrated me, because most people do not seem to live by this!  And while I’m going about my life, trying to do and say things in a way that I would want others to do and say things to me … well, it’s not the case for others, and I often end up hurt by this lack of courtesy.

It is because of others NOT following this bible teaching, this moral compass, these words to live by, that I find that I am often the one who is doing more for others, being there for others, treating others well and with thoughtful kindness, and not receiving the same in return.  But I don’t do or say or act in this “do unto others” way in order to make sure I’m treated well in return.  I do, say, and act this way because it’s what I feel is right. It’s how I can look myself in the mirror and like the person I see. So it shouldn’t bother me so much.  But it does.  I just wish I wasn’t disappointed by others so often.

How many times have you been hurt because you’ve been lied to?  Or how many times has someone completely disregarded your feelings, because that would mean thinking of someone other than themselves?  Can you think of a time (or times) when you’ve gone out of your way to be kind, where you could have just said nothing or done nothing, only to have the other person completely ignore you, and not even acknowledge that you reached out in the first place?

I can’t count the number of times I’ve simply wished someone well, and while they may or may not say thank you, oftentimes they don’t offer the same in return.  No “same to you” or similar wish sent my way.  Just an acceptance of my wishing THEM well, without the care and thought that I be wished well.  People want to be treated kindly, but they often put no effort into doing the same for others.  If someone says to you “Have a great day” or “All the best” or anything to that effect… say it back!!! Something other than JUST a self-absorbed “thanks” … and definitely something other than nothing at all! 

You don’t like when people are mean to you?  Then don’t be mean to others!  It frustrates you when someone doesn’t respond to you reaching out?  Then don’t ignore when others reach out to you.  You don’t want to be lied to?  Then don’t lie (or omit truths)!  You want compassion from others?  Then give compassion to others!!  Think of others, and do unto others!  It’s not all about YOU.  It’s all about how YOU interact with OTHERS!

Christianity:  Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke)

Judaism:  What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellowman. This is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary. (Talmud)

Islam:  No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself. (Sunnah)

Buddhism:  Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful. (Udana-Varga)

Hinduism:  This is the sum of duty; do naught onto others what you would not have them do unto you. (Mahabharata)

Taoism:  Regard your neighbor’s gain as your gain, and your neighbor’s loss as your own loss. (Tai Shang Kan Yin P’ien)

Lisa-ism:  Just friggin’ treat each other with the respect, forethought and kindness that you want to receive! (Lisa - Random thoughts and observations)

No comments:

Post a Comment